Hi! I’m Melissa, and I’m the human behind the curtain of Big Dipper Books.
I’m a 25-year-old Alabama native living in Colorado. My day job is writing for a small nonprofit, and my free time is filled with yoga, cooking, reading, and the eternal campaign against the dirty dishes. I studied English in college and I’ll be starting my master’s degree in library science this fall.
I’m married to a business guy who loves ice hockey and not-so-secretly dreams of being a mountain man. We love each other despite the fact that I’m still struggling to enjoy hiking, camping, or snowboarding without having a meltdown.
My faith is the fabric of who I am. It influences everything I do.
Have I mentioned I love books? I love books.
I want Big Dipper Books to be a light—a resource—to help you on your book journey. We’re all busy, and let’s be honest: who really wants to slog through another boring, lackluster book?
I’ve got your back.
So grab a cozy blanket, pour yourself some tea, and and let’s talk books.
5 things I like besides books
- Hot tea. Lots of it. And sweet tea. Basically tea.
- Learning new hobbies. I’ve tried everything from pottery to playing piano.
- Game night. Loveeee board games. Power Grid, anyone?
- Drama. The TV variety. Downton Abbey, The West Wing, and Sherlock are my faves.
- Watches. My mom won’t confirm, but I may have been wearing one in the womb.
Disclaimer: This is like asking me to name my favorite kid. Aka, impossible. Here’s my best shot:
- Rebecca, Daphne du Maurier
- And Then There Were None, Agatha Christie
- Between the World and Me, Ta-Nehisi Coates
- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, Mary Ann Shaffer
- Persuasion, Jane Austen
- Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
- 11/22/64, Stephen King
- Commonwealth, Ann Patchett
- The Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien
- Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling
- The Mark of the Lion, Francine Rivers
- Game of Thrones, George R.R. Martin
- Cormoran Strike, Robert Galbraith
- 44 Scotland Street, Alexander McCall Smith
- Call the Midwife, Jennifer Worth
If you want to know anything else, just say hello! I’d love to chat.